$325 of $15,000
3 donations

This fundraiser ended on 04/01/12

Create a fundraiser like this

The family and friends of Sid Holcombe are raising funds for medical bills incurred while awaiting a Liver Transplant(61 hospital days)

The day after Thanksgiving Sid went into the hospital with excessive pain in his lower right side. After administering pain medication for 14 days, the local hospital transferred us to Oschner's Hospital. When we arrived at Ochner's Hospital December 20th Sid was unconscious. His ammonia levels were so high that he did not know where he was or his surroundings. He was immediately rushed to Oschner's ER where he begin another course of evaluation. Sid's liver was in failure. He was transferred to the Liver Transplant Floor for further evaluation. He spent the next 11 days on that floor in severe pain. He was in excruciating pain every day.
December 31st we were told a liver was available for him. He would have the transplant January 1st. This was the news we had long awaited for. However, at 1:30a.m. that morning the surgeon called and told us they had sewn Sid back up. The cancer had spread into the lining of his stomach; therefore they could not give him the liver transplant.
From that day on it has been a complete struggle to find the words to comfort Sid. The doctors did not give us any hope, however we trusted in God through ever step. Everytime a doctor would come in and give us bad news Sid would calmly say "Thank you for treating me. Do you believe in miracles?" He had the faith that moved mountains! Sid continued to take pain medicene for the gnawing pain in his liver. His kidneys shut down so he began doing dialysis. He continued to do everything he knew to do to fight this incredible fight.
He took his last breath January 18th @ 9:18a.m. in ICU. His blood pressure was nearly nothing. He was on two blood pressure medicenes, his pulse rate was higher than normal, and he was on a breathing tube. This is a man that loved life more than life itself. Everything he did, he did it big. His joy was contagious. He gave the best he had to everyone. His happiness was found in his beautiful wife of 35 years and two children, Heather and Regan. He longed to spend time with his first grandbaby, which was only 2 months old. He had so much left he wanted to do. But God called him home.

There is a very large medical bill that his wife, Pauline is left with. Sid spent a total of 8 weeks in the hospital. If you feel so led please dontate to Sid's medical fund here online. All you have to do is click the donate button. A check with directly be sent to Pauline.

If you have any questions, suggestions, or just need to contact a representative for the family please e-mail Sid's daughter at

Thank you so much for your help.
View more


Supporter activity

Login to post a comment
or Login