Top
$555 of $1,200
46%
11 donations

This fundraiser ended on 01/03/11

Create a fundraiser like this

In December I am travelling to Central America on a two week long medical mission to provide care to rural under-served populations.

My name is Katelyn Michaud. In December I will be embarking on a two week medical mission to Costa Rica and Panama with International Service Learning (www.islonline.org). ISL is an international educational NGO who enlists medical and educational teams that provide services to under-served populations in Central and South America, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Africa. ISL also provides educational opportunities for students, like myself, to provide medical and educational services to the local people and to provide students with a valuable cultural experience that cannot be taught in any college classroom.

I graduated from the University of Maine at Farmington in December 2008 with a degree in Biochemistry and I am currently a graduate student in Public Health at the University of New England. I am interested in a career as epidemiologist specializing in global health. I have a strong desire to assist under-served populations because I believe they deserve access to basic items such as clean water and food and quality medical services. Nearly one billion people lack access to safe drinking water and over 2.5 billion do not have adequate sanitation, which can lead to deadly diseases. Millions of people worldwide die each day because they do not have access to basic medicines and care for curable diseases, such as malaria and water-borne diseases. As Americans, we often take our lives for granted. We have access to quality health care and education regardless of income. I hope to someday help bridge this gap.

My trip costs $1870 plus airfare. I have purchased my own flight and I plan on paying a portion of the trip fee. I am hoping to raise $1200.00. However, only 60% of the total raised will go towards my trip fee. I plan on donated the remaining 40% to two local organizations that aid under-served populations. Half of the donations will go to Partners for World Health. Partners for World Health (www.partnersforworldhealth.org) is a Portland-based non-profit that collects discarded unused medical equipment donated from local hospitals and distributes them to organizations and people worldwide. The other half will be donated to Konbit Sante (www.konbitsante.org), an organization that works in parallel with Haitians to provide quality health care services to the local population in Haiti.

Please help me in my mission to aid people living in rural under-served areas in Costa Rica and Panama. Not only are you helping me, but the under-served populations in Costa Rica and Panama, and local non-profits who share similar missions. No donation is too small. You can either donate here on this website or send a check to:

Katelyn Michaud
213 Sebago Lake Rd
Gorham, ME 04038

Please share this with your coworkers, friends, and family!

Thank you and best wishes!
~Katelyn
View more

Supporter activity

Login to post a comment
or Login