$1,915 of $200,000
44 donations

This fundraiser ended on 12/03/12

Create a fundraiser like this

Please help me raise money for live liver donor transplant surgery to save my dad's life!!!

On Valentine's day in 1994, my father, Todd Howell, was diagnosed with Heptatitis C. I was two years old. Over the last 18 years I have watched him go through various attempted treatments from simple medications to chemotherapy. Needless to say, none of them have worked. He has struggled to stay alive and fight off the disease. He has been meeting with a transplant team now. They told him if he waits for a liver from the transplant list, he will die. They said his liver is a ticking time bomb waiting to go off. They told my father he needs a young live donor. I am a blood type match to my father and would love to donate a portion of my liver to him.

Due to the situation with our economy, my father lost his job about two years ago. Along with his job, he lost his health insurance. All of this treatments have been going through the VA hospital. They will completely pay for his part of the liver transplant, however they will not cover any cost of my pre-tests, surgery, or after care to donate to him. My insurance company will not cover any cost of the tests or surgery either because it is a "voluntary" surgery. The American Liver Foundation provides no funding for tests or surgery and the National Living Donor Assistance Center only covers the cost of travel to and from the hospital and the cost of the hospital meals.

More than anything I just want to help save my dad's life. He is a great man of strong faith who has been struggling for so long. I want my father there to watch me graduate college, walk me down the aisle one day and give me away, and to meet his future grandchildren. Please help me save my dad!!! Thank you so much!!!!!

Currently, all funds will go toward testing to make sure that I am a match for my father. The tests include blood work, ultrasounds and MRIs of my liver, a stress test, possibly a liver biopsy, tests of my lungs, and further tests to make sure I am in good physical conditon to go through with the surgery. After testing is complete, they will determine if I am a complete match for my father. Because there are risks to the surgery, my father has not made up his mind as to whether or not he is going to let me go through with surgery as of yet. However, getting these tests done is a big step in the process and will be one consideration in his decision. Thank you so much for the help, this means the world to my family!

View more

Supporter activity

Login to post a comment
or Login