$2,205 of $50,000
13 donations

This fundraiser ended on 03/30/12

Create a fundraiser like this

Matt is an optimistic 29 year old battling a rare cancer. We hope that the years to come will not only bring him health, but happiness.

On December 24th, 2010 Matt Britto, 29, was diagnosed with a rare tumor known as clival chordoma, after months of constant headaches. He received MRIs, CT scans and discussed treatment options with doctors in the area.

While he has insurance, his medical bills are astronomical. A few days after he was discharged and returned to Connecticut, his father passed from a massive stroke. The family is now living off of his mother’s income, however, her ability to go in to work is limited because of Matt’s need for constant care. He is on a feeding tube, which runs for twelve hours a day to ensure that he receives proper nutrition. The tube needs to be cleaned every few hours to avoid clogging.

Many have asked us where to donate to Matt and his family, so we are creating this page in order to raise money for both his medical bills and every day expenses that the family needs. We appreciate every donation, no matter how small, and our hearts go out to every family who has combat this, and any type of cancer.

For those who want a little more information...

On March 16th 2011 Matt was admitted to the hospital for the resection of his rare tumor. The doctors gave us positive news and expected Matthew to recover fully after special radiation in Boston. Once Matthew had recovered from the surgery we met with a radiation specialist in Boston, he told us that he would not radiate Matt without additional surgery to remove the remainder of the mass, because the radiation would not make a significant impact and could only be safely performed once. He referred us to a team of specialists at UPMC, they believe the entire tumor was removed. Matt spent 6 weeks in the hospital, having to have 3 more surgeries to correct leaks in the flap. Eventually, Matt was sent home with high expectations for recovery.

On October 22st 2011 Matt was admitted to the emergency room, with air pressure in his skull and an infection of what cerebral spinal fluid he had left. His first surgeon performed emergency surgery to relieve air pressure in his skull. After he was stabilized, Matt was transferred back to Pittsburgh PA, to have a permanent fixture surgically implanted into his body. Matt then spent two more months in Pittsburgh, and is now home. In total, Matt has had nine surgeries, spent around four months in a hospital, has had multiple MRIs, CT scans and X-rays. While he is on the road to recovery, working with physical therapists, and trying to gain his ability to walk back, he is still facing radiation in Boston and years of battling with this cancer.

View more

Supporter activity

Login to post a comment
or Login