Top
$0 of $1,000
0%
0 donations

I am in need of financial assistance obtaining the mobility equipment and devices that are required for my mobility.

Most of my facebook family and friends know of my diagnosis of Limb Girdle Muscular Dystrophy that has rapidly progressed over the last 5 years. Now that I require AFO (leg) and wrist braces that I need help to financially obtain first and foremost, I also am in the transitioning stage for eventual total dependence to a power chair for means of mobility while being able to feel safe and live life to the best of my ability. After my insurance pays its portion 80% leaves me to pay my portion 20%. The Muscular Dystrophy Associaton used to somewhat assist monetarily or find grants or organizations to help us that are struggling with the costs of care and needs in relation to the effects from muscular dystrophy by paying costs of assitive devices (leg AFO braces, wrist splint braces, physical and occupational therapy and the inevitable power wheelchair, etc) with the funds raised and donated. However, as I've now become more and more dependent on assistive equipment to try remaining mobile and somewhat independent has turned to dependence for safety and fall prevention. However, I can no longer find assistance to get the needed and required equipment to maintain my independence to get around, even within my home due to no help from MDA no longer funding and assisting with getting the much needed devices to help me daily. MDA no longer funds equipment for muscular dystrophy patients. which is going to be another story and situation. I desperately need help because I have none of the prescribed and required devices to safely stand and walk. Allthough I have insurance coverage and barely making ends meet after adapting to the daily life of living with the minimal and whatever means necessary to get by on Social Security Disability, my portion of these costs is becoming realistcally impossible. After spending my income only for rent, utilities, food, doctor bills personal supplies and medications I am in no way capable of affording these devices that will help me feel safe and secure means of mobility. I hate to ask anyone for anything because times are hard for avlot of people right now. When I was diagnosed with muscular dystrophy at the age of 13 I was told I would be in a wheelchair by the age of 30. I was determined to get around, work, and stay as independent and a functional productive part of society. I have since surpassed 30 by 8 years and in need of these devices I pressed myself to work at stay out of for as long as possible. Now that I need them more than ever and it seems to be proven impossible. Please help if you can and spread the word of this need I'm desperately in need of.
View more
Login to post a comment
or Login
Give Now