$670 of $1,500
8 donations

This fundraiser ended on 08/17/10

Create a fundraiser like this

Julie Marie is a dear, sweet friend of mine.

She has a cancerous tumor, hemangiopericytoma, that continues to come back.
Julie will be having her next surgery very soon!
She will need to be out of work for a few months and needs our support!

I want you to know that this money will be directly to Julie for past and future medical bills and living expenses.  Julie will be out of work for a few months and is currently out of time at work, no vacation or sick time.

The estimated amount of money Julie will need is $5,000.  We are doing our best to help her with at least $1,500.

Please help me help her!  She needs our prayers and support more than ever now!

Thanks in advance!

Megan Burns


Here is an update directly from Julie:


To my friends, my family, and anyone else who may read my words:

So I've been out of touch as my last blog spoke about. I haven't wanted to write. I haven't wanted to acknowledge what is going on with me. But I need to know. I need help. Emotional, financial, you name it, I could use it. Prayers prayer and more prayers.

Basically here is my current story and my past story. As most of you know, I have a really rare cancerous tumor, a hemangiopericytoma on my sacrum. In June of 2009, a team removed the tumor. The surgery almost cost me my life. I was out of work for 4 months. In December 2009 a follow up MRI revealed a new tumor. They biopsied it, my HPC was back. That is the nickname for my mini beast. I had another surgery in February 2010, they weren't able to remove it.

My surgery was scheduled for June 18th 2010. My parents flew in to be with me. My dad surprised me and my mom with my sister. I haven't seen my sister in 3 years. I received a call from my surgeon the night before, he was canceling the surgery. He was at a conference last week. He met with another surgical oncologist who shed new information. We set up a meeting on Monday.

Monday: I find out that in order to remove the tumor so it doesn't grow back, it requires removing part of my sacrum. As of now it is only on one side which is good in the sense that I'll only loose half of the nerves. To put it bluntly, I will be receiving a Colostomy at age 30. There is a 50% chance I could regain some control of my bowels. If the tumor gets any larger, they would have to remove the entire part of the sacrum which would mean a permanent Colostomy and no control along with no control of my bladder. In either case there could also be nerve damage. Loss of feeling in my gluts, loss of strength in my legs. On top of other risks for surgery.

My surgeon said a second opinion wouldn't hurt. MD Anderson in Houston is booked until Mid August. I can't afford to wait that long for the surgery. My insurance is not accepted at the Cancer Treatment Centers of America. I have to get this surgery and I have to do it soon. My boss is amazing. My position will be held for me until whenever I recover. They said on the good side at least a month or two.

So here I am. Confused. Sad. Uncertain.  I just want to share my story. Do you have prayers to share? I need help... any help you can give... I'm done being shy. This isn't to gain a pity party. This is to help me survive.

Share my story.

Cancer is deadly and life changing. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone.

I look forward to hearing from you. XOXO
View more

Supporter activity

Login to post a comment
or Login