$0 of $100,000
0 donations

This fundraiser ended on 09/20/12

Create a fundraiser like this

Liam had a pretty good day today. This afternoon and evening he has been complaining more about pain but that is par for transplants!

On July 23rd, 2011 our world SUDDENLY changed, Liam was diagnosed with Stage 4 Neuroblastoma. We had finally achieved the "American Dream" in Raymondville, Missouri! We had 3 happy and healthy children, summer was in full swing and we finally had all of the love and support of our families within spitting distance from us. Liam had not been feeling well, but like any normal parent we thought it was due to the heat. Then the night of the 22nd Greg went to hug Liam goodnight and he gasp in pain and threw-up. We immediately rushed him to the ER. They said he needed to poop and he had worms. The next morning he was no better and running a fever, so back to the ER we went. A CT scan was ordered. The next thing we know the doctor comes in and gives us the news that he has a massive tumor in his belly region and he is in first stages of Liver failure. The doctor then said that Liam was being rushed to St Louis Children's Hospital in St Louis, Missouri. It took a minute for it to sink in, then WAM! It hit! All I could think about was JUST SAVE MY SON! The tears came flowing and it took everything in me to catch my breath. Once in the hospital all of the tests started. He had to go in for a biopsy and a bone marrow biopsy as well as have a central line put in his chest. Then the wait started for all of the tests to come back. Waiting was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. I can honestly say the 4 days it took seemed like an eternity. His belly just kept growing! Liam wasn't being treated yet, so it felt like we were watching him die in front of us. Then the results came in. It was confirmed. He has Stage 4 Neuroblastoma and a minimum of 18 months of treatments ahead IF he makes it. We were then told the tumor grew out of his adrenal gland, which is on top of your kidney, pushed out his liver, wrapped around his aorta, then split his diaphragm and settled on the bottom of his lungs. Due to the size of his tumor and where it was it was creating a blister effect causing fluid in his lungs. The next thing we know Liam is being sent down to the PICU and on life support. Those 2 weeks were the longest 2 weeks and full of roller coaster ups and downs. We had to watch our son, crash and turn a horrible color grey, watch them bring him back, and then wait for Liam to decide to fight. He rested and regained strength enough that the PICU doctors wanted to take his breathing tube out again. We were a nervous wreck. We watched and prayed. FINALLY, Liam was breathing on his own. Meanwhile, all of this is going on our other two children, Natasha 11 and Natalie 5, were still in Raymondville with our Grandma. Once we knew, how long of a fight Liam was going to have we had to make a difficult decision to move in with my parents since they are closer than 3 hours to the hospital. So leaving my son in the hospital with Greg, I left to get the girls. I went back to Raymondville loaded what I could in the truck along with the girls and headed back here. The 3 hour trip was full of a lot of questions and tears. All Natasha could say was she was scared. Upon pressing, she was scared her baby brother was going to die and where would she go to school. Fast forward to school starting, the girls were enrolled and ready for their first day. Liam was STILL in the hospital and had not come home yet. They both were a ball of nerves. The bus showed up and they both climbed on. I was nervous for them but knew they were in good hands as both the Intermediate and Elementary schools knew what was happening with Liam. Natasha had told their bus driver, Jennifer Hall, all about Liam that first day. She told the girls she would be praying for him. About 2 weeks later, Liam got to come home for 48 hours. The girls had no idea! They jumped off the bus and went running for their brother. Finally, our family was whole again even for only 48 hours. Liam gets admitted every 22 days for Chemo and has to stay in for 5 days at a time. When he is home, every morning the bus comes and Liam is right there to greet the kids and Jennifer. Liam has finished Round 5 of chemo and pulled thru surgery and his first bone marrow/stem cell transplant. Liam will be going in for bone marrow/stem cell transplant #2 on the 20th of Feb. Keep those prayers coming :)
View more

Supporter activity

Login to post a comment
or Login