People like you have raised $197,990,556 using GiveForward

Raise Money for Yourself
or Someone You Love

It’s quick, easy, and secure

As Featured in

How to Write Off Your Tax Deductible Medical Expenses


Tax season tends to bring out the panic in all of us, whether you’re a CPA who ends up sleeping only 2 hours per night because you’re busy finding ways to inject caffeine into your bloodstream, or you’re just a regular ole’ citizen who just wants to make sure the forms get filed in time (and correctly) to Uncle Sam. We’re no tax experts here at GiveForward, but there is a little known secret that we want you to know about: you can write off certain eligible deductible medical expenses on your taxes!

If you choose to itemize your deductions instead of taking the standard deduction (the 2014 standard deduction is $6,200, or $12,400 if you file jointly), you can include deductible medical expenses on your tax return by including them on your Schedule A (1040) form. As a general rule, you can write off anything that is not covered by insurance or reimbursed to you. You can see some of the common expenses below.

Important tip: You are only eligible to deduct these expenses if your total out of pocket medical expenses add up to an amount that is more than 10% of your Annual Gross Income.  If you are over the age of 65, that percentage lowers to 7.5%

Some of the most common deductible medical expenses:

  • Co-pays and deductibles
  • Travel to and from treatment (gas, parking, etc.)
  • Prescriptions
  • Annual physicals
  • Preventive care
  • Medical equipment or devices
  • Therapy
  • Eyeglasses
  • Dental treatment

Examples of expenses that are not deductible medical expenses:

  • HSA, FSA or MSA accounts
  • Anything reimbursed or covered by insurance
  • Cosmetic or elective surgeries
For a complete list, please refer to the IRS website.

As always, please consult a tax professional for any specific questions or scenarios that may fall outside of these tips; GiveForward is not legally authorized to give tax advice.

Whose world will you change?