Students rally to support substitute teacher, Henry Wolfson
Henry Wolfson was one of those substitute teachers you actually looked forward to as a student. He cared for the kids in his class and taught with such enthusiasm, many teachers requested him personally.
But hard times hit Mr. Wolfson as medical expenses, insurance payment and rent accumulated. He moved into a Chicago-area homeless shelter where he was profiled by the Chicago Tribune. (Read the full Chicago Tribune story here)
That’s when past students took action and created a GiveForward page, hoping to provide financial stability and emotional support to Mr. Wolfson.
- “I’m here to support you in anyway possible. I know you will get to the place you want to be, and we all are going to help you achieve that. Thank you for everything you’ve done for us. You’re a wonderful person,” shared a previous student.
- “You were my favorite sub back in the day, and it looks like that hasn’t changed in the last 15 years.”
The GiveForward page has quickly become a virtual yearbook, with students past and present leaving inspiring note to the man who taught so many.
- “Mr. Wolfson, to put it lightly, you were the BEST sub! You left such a great impact on so many students lives. My thoughts are with you in hopes that your situation improves.”
- “During my four years at Niles North, you never once forgot my name or who I was. I haven’t forgotten you either. Best of luck to you.”
Others used the site to apologize for previous adolescent behavior.
- “Mr. Wolfson, I was more trouble than anything else in your classes, but somehow I’m doing alright now. I’m sure your work helped many kids, like myself, get somewhere in their lives. Hope your situation improves.”
As the donations and emotional support continue one former student summed it up, “You were there for us, so we can be there for you.”
You can check out Mr. Henry Wolfson’s fundraiser here and read all the stories of amazing teachers!
Need help starting a fundraiser? Create a crowdfunding page on GiveForward, and we’ll take care of the rest!
GiveForward is the first place to turn when you or someone you love is facing a challenge. It’s the central rallying place for giving and receiving meaningful support. From sending a simple “Thinking of You” to raising money for out-of-pocket expenses, GiveForward empowers anyone to build a community and take action when it counts.