People like you have raised $197,990,556 using GiveForward

Raise Money for Yourself
or Someone You Love

It’s quick, easy, and secure

As Featured in

Jeremy Jr’s Story

jeremy jrTanya Longhenry shared with us the story of her 6 year old son, Jeremy Jr, and how his vehicular accident has changed their lives forever.

She told us, that it was on July 5th, 2016 just one day before Jeremy Jr’s 6th birthday when he was run over by a car in Cody, Wyoming while they were on their way home from a family reunion in Montana.

“I remember sitting in my sister-in-law, Noell’s, van and just happening to look over at the gas station door, and seeing Jeremy walk out. He had just walked behind the car that was parked near the entrance, on his way back to the van. As soon as he started walking behind the car, it started backing up, and I could no longer see him. I knew instantly that the car had ran him over.”

At this point her panic ensued, “I started yelling to Noell, that was in the front passenger seat, that they had just ran over Jeremy. I remember being in a panic and not remembering how to open the door to the gqyzgm6djtiujyfmxxpbvan, even though I had open that door hundreds of times before. When I finally got the door open Noell and I ran over there and the car had stopped on top of his pelvis. Noell had to bang on the window of the car and tell them to get off of him. I knelled down on the ground with Jeremy and after seeing a 2000 lb car stopped on top of him I just knew that he was not going to make it. He was 5 years old and 42 lbs, there was just no way. He had started throwing up and his little face was swollen and red. We later learned that when the car was on top of him he couldn’t get any blood or oxygen to the top part of his body and all of the blood vessels from his collar bone up had burst, this is called petechiae.

I have never been so scared in my life. I started yelling for someone to call 911. I felt like I was in a bubble. I don’t remember anything else that was happening around us. It was just what was happening in our bubble. To everyone else it seemed like hours until the ambulance arrived, but for me it seemed like seconds. Everything was happening so fast.

The ambulance came and took Jeremy to West Park Hospital, in Cody Wyoming. I was able to sit in the front seat of the ambulance on the way to the hospital. I was absolutely in shock. It was as if my mind could not process anything that had happened. When we arrived at the hospital, we were taken into a private waiting room while the medical staff took Jeremy into x-ray. I remember sitting in the waiting room and think that every time that someone walked in or even just walked past the they were coming to tell us Jeremy did not make it. I also remember thinking at one point that I needed to leave because I couldn’t be there when they came to tell us he was gone. It’s heartbreaking to think this way. I know that you are suppose to be positive at a time like this. But to see my child underneath the tire of a car, words can notJeremy Jr explain how horrendous that feeling is.

After Jeremy came out of x-ray they came and got us so we could go see him. I was truly terrified. Seeing how awful he looked right after the accident, I didn’t know what I would be walking in to. But Jeremy was awake and talking. He was calm and was in no pain. It was kind of amazing. The doctors told us that he had a broken pelvis and would need to be flown to another hospital for surgery. Shortly after that he was taken back for a cat scan. When he came back from his cat scan they told us that all of his internal organs were fine. He had no internal injuries except a small amount of bleeding on his brain. I believe now that this was nothing short of a miracle. I could finally breath and I knew that he was going to be okay.

After everything was ready Jeremy and I were taken by ambulance to the air port and were flown via air-med to Englewood Colorado. Then was taken to Swedish Medical Center, where he was admitted to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. The rest of my family including my husband and our two other children yvg4uxgp0uaqhl3ns76rstill had to drive another 8 hours to get back to Colorado, where we live. This was undoubtedly the longest 8 hours of my husbands life.

The next day, which happened to be Jeremy’s 6th birthday, he was taken into surgery to repair the pelvic fractures. The doctors implanted an external fixation device to hold the bones in place so they could start to heal. They also implanted a screw internally to stabilize another fracture to the back right side of his pelvis.”

Tanya also wants to share with people the hardest part of this difficult time for her and Jeremy Jr, “The hardest thing, I think for me and also Jeremy, has been not being able to do the things he use to be able to do. He is a six year old little boy who was very independent. And up until recently he has had to rely on everyone is to do thing for him. Getting in and out of the car and his bed. Getting a drink of water. Going to the bathroom. In the past month he has pushed himself to be able to do the things he use to do, and just be a normal little boy.”

But while they have had many hardships, she is reminded of all the good that has come out of this. She thinks about her community of family and friends who have reached out and given support. “We have had people send Jeremy gifts and cards, we have had friends bring over dinner. People sending kind words via Facebook. My employer, as well as my husbands, have also been extremely supportive. My husband was able to take two weeks off of work. One week while Jeremy was in the hospital and another after he was released. This was also made possible due to the donation we received via GiveForward.”

2Tanya believes that if Jeremy is okay, then so is she. Since the beginning where they found out Jeremy was going to be okay, everyone kept asking her if she’d be okay! Her reply was always, “‘He is okay, so I am okay.’ He is my child and when he was/is in pain, I was/is in pain. Just a different kind of pain. When he has a good day or a good night I do also. If Jeremy would have not been ok then I wouldn’t have been either. But he IS ok, so therefore I am too.”

Lastly, she wants everyone to know, “This is not to say that is has been easy. Far from it. But we are just taking things one day at a time. I don’t know what the future holds from my son, but today he is okay. He is alive, he is a normal 6 year old little boy doing normal little boys things like fighting with his brothers, cuddling with his puppies and playing on his Xbox. He just happens to have pins and a screw holding his bones in place.”

If you would like to learn more and stay updated on Jeremy Jr.’s story, you can visit his GiveForward page here.

Whose world will you change?